Come celebrate the Summer Solstice with us! We’ll be doing Mala Yoga (108 Sun Salutations) in celebration of the longest day of the year, the change of seasons where we spring into the cleansing heat and bright days of summer.
You can rest or modify as you need to – this is a deeply personal practice, even if you just chose to hold space here and absorb the energy of the celebration.
Please join us at the South Studio Wednesday June 21st, at 11:15am. This class is FREE to the public.
Significance of 108
- Rosary: the Hindu rosary or set of mantra counting has 108 beads representing past, present, and future lives. Hindu deities have 10 names and recitation of these names, accompanied by a 108 beaded mala, is considered sacred and often done during religious ceremonies. The recitation is called namajapa.
- Mathematical Operation: (Hyperfactoral of 3) 1 power 1 x 2 power 2 x 3 power 3 = 108; 1 to 1st power (1 x 1) = 1, 2 to 2nd power (2 x 2) = 4, 3 to 3rd power (3 x 3) = 27; 1 x 4 x 27 = 108
- Sankrit Alphabet: There are 54 letters in the Sanskrit alphabet. each has a masculine and feminine…54 x 2 = 108
- Sri Yantra: there are marmas where three lines intersect and 54 such intersections with each intersection having shiva and shakti qualities…54 x 2 = 108
- 9 x 12: Both of these numbers have various numerology and spiritual significance…9 x 12 = 108
- Heart Chakra: there are said to be 108 energy lines that converge to form the heart chakra with the primary sushumna nadi leading to the crown chakra and self-realization
- Marmas: also referred to as marmastanas, marmas are intersections of energy lines and are said to be 108 in number
- Astrology: there are 12 constellations and 9 arc segments calles namshas or chandrakalas…9 x 12 = 108
- Planets & Houses: there are 12 houses and 9 planets…12 x 9 = 108
- Gopi’s of Krishna: there are 108 maid servants in Krishna lore
- Shiva Nataraj: dances his cosmic dance in 108 steps
- Marma Nadi: Ayurvedic pressure points total 108 in the body
- Tibetan Buddhism: the number of sins
- Kuk Sool Won: Paek Pal Ki Hyung, the 7th form taught in the art of Kuk Sool Won, translates literally to “108 technique” form. Each motion corresponds with one of the 108 Buddhist torments or sins.
- Numbers 1, 0, 8: 1 stands for god or the eternal truths (bindu), 0 stands for emptiness or completeness (shunyata), and 8 stands for infinity or eternity (ananta)
- Angkor Wat: numerous references to 108 plays a significant role in the symbolism of the structure
- Buddhist Temples: many have 108 steps
- Sun & Earth: The diameter of the sun is 108 times that of earth
- Numerical Scale: the 1 of 108 and the 8 of 108, when added together equals 9, which is the number of the numerical scale, ie 1, 2, 3…10, etc., where 0 is not a number
- Space: the interior anges of an equiateral pentagon measure 108 degrees each
- Catholicism: “Hail Mary” is recited 3 times daily (6am, 12n, 6pm) accompanied by the ringing of the Angelus Bell 108 times
- Hassium: also called eka-osmium, hassium is a synthetic element in the periodic table that has the symbol Hs and atomic number 108.
- Homer: In the Odyssey, 108 is the number of suitors coveting Penelope, wife of Odysseus
- Baseball: 108 is the number of stitches on a baseball
- Space Flight: the number of minutes that Yuri Gagarin orbited the earth during the first manned space flight
- Technology: the number of Mbit/s of a non-standard extension of IEEE 802.11g wireless network using channel bonding.
- Pokemon Spiritomb: this pokemon is 108 in the Sinnoh Pokedex, is 108 kilograms in weight, has base stat values of 108 and exists as a collection of 108 sinful spirits
- Lost: the sum of the numbers in the TV show – 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Police: 108 is ten-code for officer down or officer in danger
All are welcome. You can do 1 Surya Namaskara or 108. Or just sit and breathe and enjoy the energy of the group.