200 Hour Vinyasa Yoga Teacher Training
with Kathy Shirley RYT 500, E-RYT 200
We currently do not have a 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training Program scheduled but please feel free to contact us for more information.
“Motivated by the Joy learning brings, you will gradually progress from basic to refined levels of understanding until you attain mastery.” – Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras, I-17
Kathy Shirley, Lead Faculty
The training is led by Kathy Shirley, owner and founder of Key Largo Yoga. Kathy Shirley (E-RYT 500, RCYT) completed her 500 hour training in the majestic Himalayan Mountains in Rishikesh, India. She has been teaching yoga for over 8 years throughout the upper Keys and Maine. She was a classroom teacher for many years and has a unique ability to assist students in meeting their full potential based on their individual needs. Kathy first developed a longing for knowledge and self-discovery as a young woman. Searching for spirituality and always coming up empty handed~until her first yoga class. This early seed blossomed into a lifelong passion and now her daily sadhana and dedication to get on her mat has lead her to owning and operating two beautiful studios in the upper Keys. She has the knowledge and spirit to be a truly inspiring teacher. Her classes are taught from the heart and she challenges her students to take their practice as far as they’re willing to go. Her approach to yoga is accessible and clear, and she recognizes that the mental and spiritual practice of yoga is integrally important to the physical experience.
Dr. Malea Joel, Guest Faculty
Doc Malea graduated Univ. of Hawaii-Hilo in 2008 with a BA in kinesiology and exercise science. Palmer Florida graduate 2012. She currently practices Holistic Health and lives in Key Largo. She can regularly be seen at the studio right along side our students~authentically living the life she helps others achieve. She really Loves the island life and healthy local living!
The journey from being a yoga student to becoming a yoga teacher can be a powerful step in the transformation of your practice and life itself.
This YTT will give you the skills necessary that you have found in your teachers to bring you to the place of wanting to pursue your education and practice more deeply.
Our program will be a mentally, physically and emotionally challenging, but it will help each student in the process of being able to Walk the talk. It is easy to fool some of the people some of time~however, we will teach you to become a serious practitioner and this will allow you to become an inspired, amazing yoga teacher.
You will practice asana, chanting, meditation, and pranayama, and these practices will begin to unveil the beautiful teacher that you already are. Your knowledge of yoga theory and yogic history will deepen, and with this knowledge you will begin to understand how a daily Sadhana is necessary to become an inspiring yoga teacher.
You will learn to teach others while also immersing yourself in deep study, reflection and growth.We invite you to accelerate your practice with other like-minded students to gain fundamental insights by delving into the ancient science of yoga. Tap into the unlimited creativity, energetic principles and aesthetics of Vinyasa Yoga.
Although our main focus is Vinyasa, we will bridge the gap between other yoga styles and help you find a voice no matter what style of yoga you practice or want to teach. We will explore over 100 poses and learn the sanskrit name for each, learn how to cue students, practice hands on assists and create a safe and fun setting for your students to grow!
Find the voice of the teacher within you, and get ready to inspire others to shine!The beauty of a Vinyasa Yoga practice is found in the rhythm with which alignment and sequencing merge together to create a balance of breath and movement. Although there is a strong focus on alignment and sequencing, moving with the breath can also be a powerful meditative action. Anchored in the unseen aspects of an asana class, Vinyasa Yoga uniquely accommodates to the evolution of a teacher, allowing new teachers to bring all that they have learned and all that they are into the classroom. The result is a class that is consistent and inspired.
WHY choose Key Largo Yoga instead of the hundreds of other Yoga Teacher Trainings offered? Well, I went to a training that had 42 people in my class. They offered trainings several times per year and I could tell my teacher was burnt out. I definitely did not get personal attention I wanted and did not feel as though my needs were being met. I had questions yet my teacher was unapproachable….I only allow a maximum of 20 participants in a group. Maximum number of students NO MATTER WHAT will only be 20. But what if more want to register~sorry….20 ONLY! This means that you will receive individualized training to suit your needs. I will be here to sit with you directly and answer your questions and guide your practice and your growth. Join us in Key Largo~you are one step away from a new beginning!
Visit us here for testimonials of former YTT students. Visit us here for the class of 2015’s recap of YTT FUN!
I look forward to supporting each of you in your journey to deepen your practice and to find your inner teaching voice as a yoga teacher!
• Comprehensively teach a compelling vinyasa class
• Intelligently and safely create your own sequences
• Use hands-on adjustments and modifications at the studio
• Use observational skills in “real” classes at the studio
• Deepen your practice with unlimited yoga at both studios during your training
• See bodies and observe movement
• Synchronize breath and movement
• Articulate the attributes of each posture
• Use Sanskrit names of yoga postures
• Improve & commit to your own practice
• Improve your knowledge of the business of teaching yoga
• Observe functional and subtle body anatomy
• Learn about the history, philosophy, & lineages of yoga
• Study across a multitude of yoga disciplines
• Learn the ethics of being a yoga teacher
• Learn first aid and safety techniques
• Practice a yogic diet
Deepen your personal practice, learn to teach yoga in a safe, non~competitive atmosphere, make lifetime connections and have the experience of a lifetime!!
Right away you will start to teach during your training, but the goal is only to help you internalize what you’ve learned. It builds tremendous self-confidence. In my personal training we only taught for a total of 1 hour 15 minutes before we were set free to be teachers. I believe teaching is a growing process and finding your own voice takes time. I encourage students to begin teaching each other right away. Many hours spent teaching each other creates a strong foundation to take on a class of your own! Whether or not you choose to share it as a professional is irrelevant. You might share it with friends or family, or volunteer at your church, school or community center. It does not matter if you are determined to be a teacher or hope to simply evolve your own practice — Key Largo Yoga is a good place to land.
Many teacher trainings today are like a teacher mill where limited time is spent with individual students. The process of taking in applications and turning out huge groups of mediocre teachers is BIG business. I know this because as a studio owner and practitioner, I have been to many classes with teachers who were not qualified to teach and received trainings that did not follow the guidelines of the Yoga Alliance.
My goal is to provide a training that will have you leaving confident, totally in your authentic voice, and ready to teach. I highly value the coaching relationship and believe it is necessary to commit to each and every student to support their personal journey. I look forward to being your teacher for many years to come!
We know you have questions.
2016/2017 200 hour YTT Schedule
This session will be a 7 month exploration of Yoga.
- October 14th-16th
- November 18th-20th
- December 16th-18th
- January 20th-22nd
- February 17th-19th
- March 17th-19th
- April 14th-16th
The approximate daily schedule:
The schedule of the Key Largo Yoga Teacher Training is designed to provide an intensive, experiential exploration of yoga philosophy, practice, and teaching techniques. Given Yoga Alliance requirements, all students are required to attend all sessions, without exception.
6:00–8:00 am Sadhana
8:00–8:30 am Working Breakfast
8:30–11:00 am Program Session
11:00 am–12:00 pm Lunch Break
12:00–3:00 pm Asana Lab
3:00–4:00 pm Program Session
Students will be required to practice a minimum of 5 days per week at one of Key Largo Yoga’s studios.
*Program sessions will include techniques for postures and pranayama; teaching methodology for leading a Yoga class and assisting students in postures; exposure to yogic philosophy; anatomy and physiology; and practice to support your emerging skills as a teacher.
Please note YTT training will begin at 6:00 pm on opening night (Oct. 14th) and will end by noon on April 16th with our graduation ceremony later that evening. The above schedule is subject to change.
There will be homework and practicum hours.
* Additional hours will be required during your training. This will consist of at home study and service to the community.
- The Key Muscles of Yoga: Scientific Keys, Volume I by Ray Long & Chris Macivor
- Yoga: A Yoga Journal Book by Linda Sparrowe (paperback edition)
- Yoga: The Spirit and Practice of Moving into Stillness, by Erich Schiffman
- Bhagavad Gita, by Eknath Easwaran
- Inside the Yoga Sutras, by Reverend Jaganath Carrerra
- The Anatomy Coloring Book, by Wynn Kapit
- Heart of Yoga, by Desikachar
This 200-hour program is completed over the course of 7 months. Completion of the full program is intended to satisfy the requirements for Yoga Alliance certification at the 200-hour level. The program is open to students who wish to deepen their practice, to those who want to learn to teach yoga, and to teachers who are looking to expand their knowledge and satisfy continuing education requirements. The full program requires a significant time commitment so please consider your availability before registering.
• A minimum of 6 months of consistent yoga practice at KLY is required to be accepted into the training program (if you live away please contact me and I can contact your home studio for a practice log).
• To meet Yoga Alliance’s requirements for a 200-hour Registration, attendance at all sessions is mandatory.
• Prior to acceptance into the program, each applicant will be required to complete an application.
• All written assignments, exams and projects must be completed to receive certification.
• Credit will not be given for partial attendance.
• A certificate will be issued once all requirements have been met: Successful completion of all courses and all assignments in their entirety, and full payment of tuition.
Full tuition for the program is $2,775.00.
Payment Schedule as follows:
• $200 non-refundable deposit upon acceptance to the program. There will be absolutely no refunds on the deposit, so please be sure you are ready to commit to this training before you send your application and fees.
• Remaining Payments can be made in two installments: the initial deposit of $200 is paid upon applying. The 2nd payment of $1400 is due by July 15th. The remaining balance is due by September 15th. Payment can be made in full at any time prior to September 15th.
Early Bird Cash Discount: $2,575.00 if paid in full by June 15th.
Tuition does not cover the cost of a small number of books that are required reading, but it does include all training sessions, teacher manuals, materials, as well as unlimited drop-in classes at Key Largo Yoga during the training (a $623.00 dollar value).
WE MUST HAVE AT LEAST 8 COMMITTED PARTICIPANTS BY JULY 15TH OR THE TRAINING WILL BE CANCELLED